Saint Mark’s School in an independent, coeducational day school in Altadena, CA. Founded in 1960, the School serves the needs of approximately 300 preschool through grade six students from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds. The School’s mission is to develop the unique intellect and character of each student in a nurturing environment committed to academic excellence, respect for diversity, responsibility, and spiritual growth.
Saint Mark’s school is seeking a dynamic person who will work closely with the teachers, parents and administrators to support students in preschool through sixth grade, especially those with learning differences. The Learning Specialist will collaborate with and assist teachers in implementing effective research-based strategies, pushing into the classroom to assist with differentiated instruction and implementation of accommodations. This person is an integral part of the Student Support Team and serves as a liaison between the Student Support Team and the teachers and families.
Personal characteristics necessary for the position include: a love of children; high energy and enthusiasm for school life; ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and professionalism at all times; great organizational skills and follow through; warmth and a sense of optimism; a collaborative nature and consensus-building skills; flexibility, patience and persistence; strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills; ability to de-escalate conflicting situations; excellent written and oral communication skills; and cultural competency and ability to navigate and promote sensitivity with issues of diversity, inclusion, and equity.
This is a full-time, exempt
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate and discuss student concerns with classroom teachers
- Observe students in classrooms, assess output, and evaluate concerns
- Problem solve and provide ideas for addressing areas of concern, addressing a breadth of learning needs and provide coaching as needed
- Collaborate with Student Support Team, academic program team, and faculty to create and implement clear protocols and school-approved accommodations to support students
- Align and monitor the effectiveness of interventions and alternative strategies to maximize learning for students
- Coordinate, schedule and participate in Student Support Team meetings with teachers, administrators and families
- Keep an internal list of trusted professionals who have worked effectively with Saint Mark’s and provide outside professional referrals to families when warranted
- Serve as liaison between Saint Mark’s and outside professionals
- Read, interpret, and summarize evaluation reports to assist in prioritizing outside supports for families and to support implementation of classroom accommodations
- Maintain secure and up to date files documenting student support history, including necessary records for standardized test accommodations
- Communicate student needs to other constituent groups, including enrichment teachers, teaching interns, and administration
- Conduct baseline academic screenings and student observations when needed and assist with kindergarten readiness screenings
- Provide professional growth presentations for faculty and staff and parent education sessions regarding specific learning differences and a variety of learning needs
- Support faculty transitions, as well as conduct regular check-ins with faculty regarding students’ learning needs and provide new strategies as needed
- Complete accommodation forms for standardized testing
- Master’s degree in special education, educational therapy, or a related field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in teaching at the elementary school level, as well as experience in independent schools. Some education and/or experience in early childhood education is preferred.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Works in an environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a diverse array of contacts
- Works at a desk and in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Turns, bends, reaches and may occasionally use a ladder.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled office environment.
Salary: As per pay scale
Benefits: A full benefits package includes medical, dental and vision coverage and a TIAA/CREF retirement plan.
Submissions: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume to Assistant Head of School Kelly Mancuso at Kellym@saint-marks.org by Thursday, February 13th.
Non-discrimination policy: Saint Mark’s School is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.