Position Type: Elementary Teacher Intern
Date Posted: 6/16/21
Date Available: 8/19/2021
Saint Mark’s School is an independent, Episcopal coeducational day school in Altadena, CA. Founded in 1960, the School serves the needs of approximately 300 Preschool through Grade Six students from diverse ethnic, racial, religious and economic backgrounds. The School’s mission is to develop the unique intellect and character of each student in a nurturing environment committed to academic excellence, respect for diversity, responsibility, and spiritual growth.
The School is seeking a dynamic teacher intern to learn from and contribute to a vibrant school community. The elementary school teacher intern is responsible for assisting the elementary classroom teacher or grade level cohort in the care and supervision of elementary students. The elementary teacher intern must be warm and friendly; able to relate to and work well with both children and adults; be willing to take direction from the teacher and administration, and show initiative for important parts of the elementary program and operation of the school. The elementary teacher intern must be professionally prepared to meet the social and emotional health and safety conditions necessary to operate a quality elementary program. The elementary teacher intern is supervised directly by the director of teaching and learning and is evaluated by the assistant head of school.
Elementary Level Teacher Intern
Full time; Non-exempt Status
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Acts in a manner corresponding to the requirements of the Saint Mark’s Employee Handbook.
- Demonstrates professionalism through punctuality, collaboration, organization, participation in meetings and staff development opportunities. Maintains professional behavior including appropriate dress, good judgement, integrity, diplomacy, confidentiality, and a respectful attitude in professional relationships.
- Assists the teacher and/or grade level with implementing the daily program and activities of the class, including in distance learning as appropriate, keeping in mind the stated goals and philosophy of Saint Mark’s School.
- Independently supervises an area of activities in the classroom and outdoors and engages the students in learning. Assists the lead teacher in other appropriate ways such as leading small group instruction, morning meeting, or closing circle, as directed.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity and equity, fostering a culturally competent and inclusive classroom and actively contributing to a healthy, equitable environment for all members of the community.
- Keeps the lead teacher aware of any observations of children with social-emotional or learning challenges.
- Relates professionally to each child, parents, and other staff.
- Shows respect and care for each child and implements school and playground rules and behavior expectations in a professional manner, consistent with the School’s philosophy.
- Works on campus and/or remotely per public health guidelines to perform duties and responsibilities as requested by the head of school.
- Independently supervises assigned area(s) of the program as set forth by the teacher, director of teaching and learning, assistant head of school, or head of school.
- Supervises students during all assigned supervision duties, including but not limited to, lunch and recess, drop-off and pick-up, extended care, and when the teacher is out of the classroom. Reports hazards or health and safety issues to the lead teacher, director of teaching and learning, director of facilities, or assistant head of school.
- Assists in maintaining a neat, clean, comfortable, and child-oriented classroom atmosphere.
- Provides necessary set-up and clean-up of classroom areas and materials used in each day’s activity or project.
- Completes clerical tasks and learns and operates office equipment and technology as assigned.
- Completes required training each year (CPR, Basic Pediatric First Aid, mandatory reporting, and all other required training). Administers first aid when necessary.
- Helps with setting-up, cleaning, and putting away outdoor play materials and equipment.
- Assumes an equal share of housekeeping responsibilities of the staff.
- Arrives promptly at assigned time, follows daily schedule, and leaves only upon completion of daily tasks, not to extend beyond regularly scheduled hours.
- Attends all designated staff meetings, in-services/trainings and school programs.
- Demonstrates a commitment to building and sustaining a collaborative professional learning community and contributes to a positive school climate.
- Arranges for own substitute from approved list, when directed to do so by the director of teaching and learning, assistant head of school, or head of school and leaves clear instructions.
- Completes other tasks and projects as assigned.
Other skills and qualities:
- Must love working with children and demonstrate enthusiasm for supporting students in pursuing their passions, talents, and interests
- Creative, energetic, patient, resourceful, flexible, innovative, and cheerful
- Willingness to try new things
- Open to constructive feedback
- Actively working toward advancing in the field of education (additional coursework, degree, teacher certification, etc.)
Physical Requirements: Job includes some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; hearing, speaking, observing, and significant fine finger dexterity. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Generally, the job requires 15% sitting, 40% walking, and 45% standing and the ability to lift or move up to 50 pounds. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations, in a generally hazard-free environment, and in a clean atmosphere.
Salary: As per pay scale
Benefits: A full benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision coverage and a TIAA/CREF retirement plan.
Submissions: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current resume to Kelly Mancuso, Assistant Head of School at email@example.com.
Non-Discrimination Policy: Saint Mark’s School is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.